Beginnings


As this is my new art blog, I suppose it needs a first post. My name is Beverly. Welcome to my blog! Allow me to introduce myself a bit...

I am a self-taught artist from the east coast of Canada. My interest in art began at an early age, with cherished memories of painting and drawing with my dear Dad. His paintings often included lovely landscapes of his childhood home in Hong Kong. It wasn't until cancer took Dad away 2 years ago that I resumed working with watercolours again, in his memory, after a long hiatus from artistic endeavors. I'm so glad that I did. I've still got a lot to learn but I am loving the journey!

I have worked with acrylics and gouache in the past, though I find I am more drawn to watercolours, perhaps because of the pleasant childhood memories attached to them. I also enjoy drawing in pencil and ink and am eagerly looking forward to participating in my first ever Inktober, when it next rolls around. I sold some artwork while I was in junior high and high school, but after I graduated and found office work, like so many, I allowed a busy secular job, illnesses, social media, etc. to distract me, kidding myself into believing I had "no time" for anything creative.

Most of my paintings are done on my work breaks in sketchbooks. Larger paintings are done at home, usually after I come home from work in the evenings, thanks to my overhead LED lights. I often wish I had more time to devote to painting, as it is something that I absolutely love, though I do manage to squeeze in a little bit of painting or drawing every day, despite a busy schedule and chronic health struggles.

Inspiration from my art comes from the flora and fauna of Canada, as well as "salty" landscapes including quaint town-scapes of the Maritime provinces.

But... painting wildlife, especially birds, is my particular happy place! I also like to paint still life. Architectural details have always fascinated me, although I haven't had much chance to explore this avenue just yet.

Hmm... what else? I love spending time with my husband and our 4 crazy but lovable indoor cats. When I'm not painting, I also enjoy reading, being by the ocean, camping, scouting for good painting spots, canoeing and sometimes crocheting. Autumn is my favourite time of the year, but I also love winter and am one of those odd persons who is always wishing for a snowstorm!

I am also a long-time journal keeper and because of this, I became a self-taught bookbinder. In 2007, I became a small business owner/operator from home, making handmade leather journals and guestbooks.

So, that about wraps up my first post here. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. I realize that there are a plethora of art blogs on the net, and I know mine is just a very small drop in a very huge ocean... and with only ONE paltry post thus far! In any case, I hope you will continue to follow me on my journey of watercolour wonderment. I will try my best to post more than I expect to. If I don't, you can probably guess what I'm doing... *says she, with a brush in hand*



Comments

  1. Followed you from Doodlewash and I love your work. I'll be following you on Instagram as well. Happy New Year and may you have bucket-loads of joyous and productive painting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Cheryl! I'm not too slick with social media, but I'm trying. :) I'd much rather be painting than blogging, etc. but I really appreciate hearing from you and I am so happy to have you along on my watercolour journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog is looking lovely, Bev! I'm sure there are plenty of blog post ideas ready to burst forth, but if you ever decide to do a post on your current favourite pigments or paint choices for a particular palette, I'd be very interested! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! It's funny you mentioned that because I have a "desert island" post of art supplies and colours that I'll be sharing in the future. My issue is that I have far too many palettes than I really need. LOL!

      Delete

Post a Comment